Author Topic: selection reset on folder change?  (Read 10797 times)

Void

• View Profile
selection reset on folder change?
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:46:00 »
At first I found it very confusing that files would remain selected when I get out of a folder and come back, then I thought it might be a cool feature once I get used to it, but I'm now afraid the risk is too high of deleting files I once selected earlier leading to compulsive Ctrl-D pressing. Is there a place where I can set this to default? Thank you!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: selection reset on folder change?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:13 »
That is one of the most popular features in Multi Commander. That it remember selections.
Right now it is not possible to disable that, But it should be easy to add and I will see if this can be added to the next release.

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 16:26:43 »
Thank you very much! I agree it's something unique that I haven't seen in any other similar program... I'm just afraid this may be one of those 'with great power comes great responsibility' things as when I navigate quickly I don't trust myself to remember an earlier selection that may be pages/scrolling down (especially until the multi column feature).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 16:35:50 »
In the beta for 2.1 this is now possible to disable so it does not remember selections

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:19:11 »
Thank you very much! Yet another great feature/fix added so very fast! With that and the filter reset now the only thing missing from MC being the top file manager I've ever used is multi column and inside quicksearch... i'm amazed how every month it gets better! Totally the best software discovery of 2011 & 2012!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:24:16 »
There is a bug with the reset filter, In some situation it does not reset.. but this will be fix in the next beta.

quick search using substring matching will also be in next beta.. Multicolumn ( list mode ) will not.  But it is being worked but will not be ready until v2.2

Void

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:33:25 »
that's fantastic news about the quicksearch! Thank you so much!
About multi column I can only assume it's a tough feature to implement: a couple of years ago I was working as a writer for a Linux magazine and since I'm big into productivity i wrote some articles about file managers and did an interview with the Krusader team, and I'm proud to say in the process suggested some features which I think added a lot, but multi view even many years later I have not seen to have been added though there too many people were requesting it, so I can only assume it's a non-standard or tough thing to implement in the software. Still, it would be oh so very great to have it! In the case of those folders with many files it uses in a useful way a lot of the otherwise wasted screen space thus helping with a quick overview of where you are and what you're doing there, not to mention the increase in navigation speed as you go from one dimenion up-down to 2 dimenional movement.