Author Topic: Optimization in List view  (Read 4727 times)

ags

• View Profile
Optimization in List view
« on: July 29, 2023, 08:03:48 »
Firstly, thank you for this program, I really like how small it is on the disk and how well it's files are organized.

Regarding the use of keyboard, it is much simpler to navigate a long list of files using the arrow keys. But in Details mode the left and right arrows do not work.

To fix this I switch the panel to List mode. All the arrows work but then item creation and size is not displayed anywhere as the user passes with the cursor over them. They should be seen, they are important. Maybe in the bottom bar, which is only useful when user selects some files?

Offtopic 1: in the upper right corner of the forum, the news is that v12.8 is released and I am using v13 :)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Optimization in List view
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 13:26:11 »
What du you want to do with left/right in detailed list mode ?  Arrow left/right works.. But by default maybe not what you want them to work. You can customize it.

ags

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 14:03:50 »
Okay, I thought I'd suggest that by default, in Details view, the left and right keyboard arrows would behave like PageUp and PageDown.
Doesn't that make more sense?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 22:47:28 »
Okay, I thought I'd suggest that by default, in Details view, the left and right keyboard arrows would behave like PageUp and PageDown.
Doesn't that make more sense?
I think it makes more more sense to just press page up and page down.
L/R arrow keys are used in some setup for other things, like enter folders , send folder to other panel.

ags

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 09:47:24 »
When panel is in List view, it is important to be able to see date, time and size for files under cursor. MC does not do that by default. Can it be configured?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 11:30:00 »
When panel is in List view, it is important to be able to see date, time and size for files under cursor. MC does not do that by default. Can it be configured?
That was detailed mode are for. so currently not there in list view
You can enable hover preview or preview panel, then that info is shown there

ags

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 12:33:53 »
It is important to quckly see date, time, size in the footer of the panel for List view, always in exactly the same spot.
Other older orthodox file managers had this implemented 30 years ago. So there was a use for it. It is not so practical for users to keep changing the view to see what they should see without changing anything.

See, that is how open sourcing would help the project. MC is nice and there is a lot that could be praised about it. But it is the vision of one man. It is what you want, not what people want. Open sourcing would make it (in time, of course) what you want AND what I want AND what others want. And this would bring maturity to the project.

In the upper right side of this forum I see "File Managment For Professionals". So maturity is to be expected from MC. By the way, there is a spelling error in that.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 13:21:04 »
It is important to quckly see date, time, size in the footer of the panel for List view, always in exactly the same spot.
Other older orthodox file managers had this implemented 30 years ago. So there was a use for it. It is not so practical for users to keep changing the view to see what they should see without changing anything.

See, that is how open sourcing would help the project. MC is nice and there is a lot that could be praised about it. But it is the vision of one man. It is what you want, not what people want. Open sourcing would make it (in time, of course) what you want AND what I want AND what others want. And this would bring maturity to the project.

In the upper right side of this forum I see "File Managment For Professionals". So maturity is to be expected from MC. By the way, there is a spelling error in that.

Then use detailed mode. :) it is much better anyway. I never use List view..(maybe why it lack features.. I never use it my self. ;) )
also many other might have had that a long time. But MC also had many things they do not have.

Open source would not help. As I said.. Nobody would contribute a major things that require architectural changes of the code.
Even if there was somebody willing to do it. it would require me LOTS of work do transfer everything to be open source.. and that is time that do not exists

However.... It is actually on the list.. but time is limited and it been pushed down. But some of the architectural changes are now done when Preview handing was added in previous releases so now it higher possibility for it to show up.

And Yes there are many spelling errors I know :)  If I ever get the time I will fix them. Right now the time I can spend on this is very limited.