Author Topic: List of ExplorerPanel Commands, different amount, missing some?!..  (Read 397 times)

tbone

• View Profile
Hi!.. o)

Another question, why is it, that the "Custom Context Menu Editor" is showing less / not all of the "Explorer Panel" internal commands?

This is the list of "Explorer Panel" internal commands, when opened in "Custom Context Menu Editor":

tbone

• View Profile
And this is the list of "Explorer Panel" internal commands, when opened from the "User Commands" editor:

There is more stuff in here, I noticed, because I was searching for the native "Rename" function, which was present here, but not in the "Custom Context Menu Editor".
I had to create a wrapper entry in "User Commands" using this native "Rename" command, to be able to create a "Rename" menu entry in the "Custom Context Menu Editor" (by using my wrapping user command).

Is there some criteria on internal commands, why they would not show up directly in the list of "Explorer Panel" internal commands, when in the "Custom Context Menu Editor"?

Thank you!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
All commands does not fit as commands for the context menu. so they are 'flagged' if they are commands that should show up there. Might be that some commands miss that flag.

'Rename' the normal 'rename' from the shell part is already calling the normal. so duplication.

tbone

• View Profile
I was trying to get rid of the windows shell context menu, it makes things slow and if I would use the Copy/Paste from the windows shell menu, timestamps will not be copied, which is why I need to use a different file manager than Explorer in the first place, apart from hundreds of other quirks of course! o)

While we are at it, is there a way to hide custom context menu entries, if the context menu is triggered on the file display background, so the actual target is not a folder/file from the listed items, but the folder I am in?

tbone

• View Profile
Without being able to hide specific items for the current folder context menu, I get this when clicking the file list background.
Most entries do not work, like Delete, Rename, Copy etc., which is kind of expected, but maybe there is a way to hide them at least?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
I was trying to get rid of the windows shell context menu, it makes things slow and if I would use the Copy/Paste from the windows shell menu, timestamps will not be copied, which is why I need to use a different file manager than Explorer in the first place, apart from hundreds of other quirks of course! o)

While we are at it, is there a way to hide custom context menu entries, if the context menu is triggered on the file display background, so the actual target is not a folder/file from the listed items, but the folder I am in?
You can't configure that in the editor for Custom Context menu ?
You can set if items should be shown for folders, files, both ?

tbone

• View Profile

Well yes and no.. o)
I can set whether to show the context menu entry for files or folders or both, but that does not help when clicking in the background of the file display, no file or folder selected.

Technically, clicking in the background of the file display should bring the menu items related to a folder, but it's another context, where things like "Rename", "Delete" etc. are not available. I mean they could be available, since why not rename the folder you are currently in, I actually added this functionality into another file manager I am using, but if the options don't work, it makes no sense to show them.

Maybe take a look at this screenshot:
This is Explorer's context menu on the file display background (the current folder), it also does not show "Rename", "Delete" etc., even though I technically should get all the operations being possible on a folder. I guess most people would be irritated if they could click "Delete" and the folder they are in would be removed from the disk, and the path is changed to the parent folder automatically (since the file manager does not have anything to show anymore for "this" path, which does not exist anymore).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander

Well yes and no.. o)
I can set whether to show the context menu entry for files or folders or both, but that does not help when clicking in the background of the file display, no file or folder selected.

Technically, clicking in the background of the file display should bring the menu items related to a folder, but it's another context, where things like "Rename", "Delete" etc. are not available. I mean they could be available, since why not rename the folder you are currently in, I actually added this functionality into another file manager I am using, but if the options don't work, it makes no sense to show them.

Maybe take a look at this screenshot:
This is Explorer's context menu on the file display background (the current folder), it also does not show "Rename", "Delete" etc., even though I technically should get all the operations being possible on a folder. I guess most people would be irritated if they could click "Delete" and the folder they are in would be removed from the disk, and the path is changed to the parent folder automatically (since the file manager does not have anything to show anymore for "this" path, which does not exist anymore).

Clicking on the backgroud you are actually clicking on the parent folder. so doing delete there might delete the entire folder you are in.
But maybe block commands like that in that situation would solve that.

Some items are not shown just becuse they are not tagged to be shown.  Delete/Rename are not in the MC menu because they are dupicates in the shell menu. but maybe can be added.

tbone

• View Profile
Delete/Rename are not in the MC menu because they are dupicates in the shell menu. but maybe can be added.

Yes, I got missing items into that "native" MC context menu somehow, a "Properties" entry as well.. it seems to work for now, thx! o)

I normally don't make much use of the Windows shell context menu items, only in rare cases. The shell menu is also quite large and messy the longer you run your Windows installation, some tools don't ask whether to integrate into the shell menu, they just do and over time, this menu is bloated with "things".. o)

So I prefer to use a native file manager context menu if it is available, it should work quicker and should be more tidy as well! o)