Author Topic: Diference between Copy and Copy Quick?!..  (Read 373 times)

tbone

• View Profile
Diference between Copy and Copy Quick?!..
« on: June 27, 2024, 09:23:39 »
Hello Mathias,

are you, as the author of Multi Commander, the only one giving support here? Aren't there any users around, helping out as well with some questions?
I can imagine you have lot's of other things going in your life and you probably only have limited time for giving support?

What is the difference between "Copy..." and "Copy (Quick)" in the context menu?
I can run both, but both seem to open the same copy wizard dialog with the same options ticked.
I tried to read the docs and was searching through this forum as well, but nothing related showed up.

Thank you!

ps: If you think my questions are annoying.. let me know! o)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Diference between Copy and Copy Quick?!..
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 09:40:25 »
There are some others that often answer If I'm slow..

Duplicate file in same folder

tbone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 12:58:19 »
Ah, ok! o)

It's a bit confusing, suddenly there is a filename instead of a folder path in the "Copy files to.." field and it only seems to work for 1 of many selected items.
Still useful, since the date stamps will be copied when "duplicating" this way instead of using CTRL+C and CTRL-V (which seems to use the Windows shell "Copy" method, which does not preserve "Date created").

Alright, thank you! o)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2024, 14:46:34 »
Ah, ok! o)

It's a bit confusing, suddenly there is a filename instead of a folder path in the "Copy files to.." field and it only seems to work for 1 of many selected items.
Still useful, since the date stamps will be copied when "duplicating" this way instead of using CTRL+C and CTRL-V (which seems to use the Windows shell "Copy" method, which does not preserve "Date created").

Alright, thank you! o)

Yes when you do quick copy.. When doing normal copy you get the target location.  F5/F2 (depending on keysetup)

Copy / Paste are made to copy some data from one program to another. it is made to be used to copy files.. When you copy / paste a file from one program to another. It just tell the other program
File copy this file(s) I have here in this path stored as plain text

tbone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2024, 19:08:34 »
Yeah, so there is not some kind of external Windows-shell / OS-native copy involved when using CTRL-V in MC? It really looks like this is the case.

I am thinking that, because the Windows progress dialog comes up and because the "created" date stamp is reset to current date, just like Windows and Explorer do it all the time and also because the replace dialog of Windows can pop up. I can't say why MC is not doing the copy on its own and preserve the date stamps as I set in the preferences. Maybe there is some other related setting I overlooked? I checked again, "Keep date stamps" is checked, CTRL-V though, does not restore them.

I have to remember to NOT USE the clipboard CTRL-C+V it seems, kind of difficult! o)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2024, 21:56:37 »
Yeah, so there is not some kind of external Windows-shell / OS-native copy involved when using CTRL-V in MC? It really looks like this is the case.

I am thinking that, because the Windows progress dialog comes up and because the "created" date stamp is reset to current date, just like Windows and Explorer do it all the time and also because the replace dialog of Windows can pop up. I can't say why MC is not doing the copy on its own and preserve the date stamps as I set in the preferences. Maybe there is some other related setting I overlooked? I checked again, "Keep date stamps" is checked, CTRL-V though, does not restore them.

I have to remember to NOT USE the clipboard CTRL-C+V it seems, kind of difficult! o)

Ctrl+C/V the copy is handled by Windows.. since you can copy files from "strange" none normal location using that, So windows need to handle it

Just press F5/F2 to copy.. much easier..