Author Topic: network share directory not listed in path row  (Read 11706 times)

karthik

• View Profile
network share directory not listed in path row
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:28:58 »
When I type in a network share \\server\folder1\folder2, MC goes to that folder but the path row is either blank (if it is opened on a new tab) or showing the old path (if it is opened in an existing tab). This wasn't the case before I upgraded to the latest version. Before, I was able to see the network path in the path row and it was clickable. However if the same path is mapped to a network drive then the path row starts to show the drive letter and other details. Is there a setting that am missing? Can you please help/check? Thanks.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: network share directory not listed in path row
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:03 »
I'm not able to recreate that problem.

How do you to a \\server\share\folder location.  Typing it in the command line field ? button ? shortcut ? Editing the Path field and pasting it the path ? another way ?
WinXP ? Win 7 ?
Have you tweaked the UI and disabled any of the UI elements in the Explorer panel (new in 2.7 ) ?

If you edit the path field after you gone to the network path.. Is the editable path still empty ? (double click on path field, but outside of any path item. white space, or press Ctrl+E )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:01:45 by Mathias (Author) »

karthik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:20:58 »
I have tried multiple ways to get to the location: command line, button and shortcut. All leads to the same situation. I did not tweak the UI in the new version. And I use Win 7.

When I double click on path field it is still empty. Additional info: The tab name says "Explorer Panel".

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:51:55 »
I do not know why it fail for you. Im not able to make it fail here.

The content of the network location is shown? You see files and folders in the the list ? or is the entire view also blank ?
Is the path field still blank if you continue to browse into a subfolder? no change if you click the refresh button ?

karthik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:54:01 »
I tried on a XP machine and same problem. The content of network location is shown. Only the path row is blank. I tried the refresh button but no luck.

karthik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:01 »
I downloaded a fresh version and that works fine. But how can I get my old settings, particularly the buttons back without much re-work?

I use a portable version.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:08:07 »
Strange that a reinstall worked. maybe some files failed to update correct or something..

The configuration for portable version is stored in the config/ folder where MultiCommander.exe exists.
for installed version on Win7 it is C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\MultiCommander\Config\

Buttons for the Buttons panel are configured in MultiButtons.xml and Layout and Colors for the ExplorerPanel is in ZFileManager.xml

If the old version is not portable then do not copy MultiCommander.xml to the new config folder.
But all of the other configuration files can be copied over.

karthik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:14:54 »
Thanks for the help and direction. Both my versions are portable and hence all I did was to backup and restore a couple of times using the old and new versions and that did the trick. Does the file ZFileManager.xml have all the explore and core settings?

karthik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:52 »
Figured out the problem. When I turn off the Device drop down, then my problem re-appears. When Device Drop down is turned on, it works fine. Can you check if you are able to reproduce the problem? Thanks

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:34:09 »
Ahh Okey.

So you was running without the device dropdown. Okey I see..

Yes I was able to see the problem now. I will fix that.