Author Topic: Directory junctions on the server - MC can't go there  (Read 7104 times)

h0w4rd

• View Profile
Directory junctions on the server - MC can't go there
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:29:39 »
There are many directory junctions on our development server in the shared directory. Junctions are created with the command mklink /j destination source.
Multi Commander is not able to go to these directories, because MC doesn't interpret them as a common directories, when I try to go to those directories. Other commanders and explorer don't have any problems with it.

Please see attached image (directory names are in czech language, but it doesn't matter).

If I go to the "install" directory, MC switches to my local D:\install instead of the install directory on the server, it is coincidence, that there is a directory D:\install in my computer too.
If I go to "zaloha" directory, MC switches to my local C:\, because there is no such directory b:\zaloha in my computer.

Could you fix this? Otherwise MC is unusable for me.

On the other hand, MC is the only commander, I have found so far, which can operate with directory junctions correctly (if you don't count the bug described above) in contrast to the other commanders and explorer on Windows.

And sorry for my bad english.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Directory junctions on the server - MC can't go there
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:01:40 »
The problem is that MC will resolve the link and go to the link target. But since the link is located on a network folder this does not work.

I will add a settings so that it can be changed, So that it will follow link instead of resolving them while browsing.

Might also need a setting to only allow that on network drives. Because always following link on local harddrive can result in a very strange behavior and you can end up in a never ending loop, for example if you browse the C:\ProgramData folder on Windows7

h0w4rd

• View Profile
Re: Directory junctions on the server - MC can't go there
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:55:06 »
Thank you very much.