Author Topic: Templates backup work around?  (Read 7963 times)

rogerrabbit

• View Profile
Templates backup work around?
« on: May 07, 2013, 22:05:53 »
Hi,
Absolutely brilliant software!  :)
I know it has already been pointed out that backups do not include User Defined Commands (forum topic "UserDefinedCommands.xml", last post 11 months ago), so sorry to raise this issue again. But I have over 30 Templates and would love to upgrade to version 3, but can't as I would have to re-enter all my User Defined Commands.
I just wonder whether until such time as the back up process can be rewritten or amended as necessary, it might be possible to introduce a temporary work around to backup user Templates please?
I'm not a programmer, so sorry if what I am asking is ridiculous. But if it can be done relatively easily, I'm sure there are many others like me who would be really grateful.
Thanks!
Roger

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Templates backup work around?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 22:23:24 »
UserDefinedCommands.xml is backuped. ( you can also backup the file manually, copy it somewhere and copy it back afterwards.)

But when upgrading. The UserDefinedCommands.xml is not overwritten, it should be kept. none of the user settings files is not changed when updating using the built in update tool.

To create a backup of settings manually
go to Menu > Help > Go to > Config Folder

And copy/pack everything there to a safe location
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 22:26:50 by Mathias (Author) »

rogerrabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 17:33:26 »
Oh, so sorry for my error!
I use the portable version and tried upgrading by downloading and extracting version 3 to same folder, which deleted all my Templates, so I restored all from a backup of the USB drive.
Upgrading via Help does indeed keep my Templates.
Thank you very much for your assistance and apologies again!
Roger

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 17:39:49 »
Ahh okey If you do that you have to be careful.

When unpacking the portable over an existing do not replace the files inside the config folder.. EXCEPT for the two files. .*_def.xml,  they should be replaced.

rogerrabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 17:42:30 »
Thank you !
Roger