Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Support and Feedback / Re: Zip performance
« Last post by Mathias (Author) on March 26, 2024, 20:55:28 »
If you browse into the zip.. It will scan the zip so it can show all files from the zip..
When you add files to an existing zip. the same things is happening. It needs first to scan the zip
So you can see how long time it takes to open the zip if you browse into it. it will take the same before it can start to add files into it

« Last post by veds on March 26, 2024, 20:12:58 »
However there are some optimization added in the coming version. (14.x) It will load a large zip faster.
Thank you!

Also if the zip is missing its content catalogue at the end of the file
I created the archive with multicommander; I don't know whether multicommander adds a content catalogue at the end of the file.

I have send you an email with more info.
Support and Feedback / Re: Copy to Zip bug?
« Last post by veds on March 26, 2024, 20:04:14 »
Hi Mathias, I have send you an email with more info.
Support and Feedback / Re: Issue with search in MultiDataViewer
« Last post by Mathias (Author) on March 26, 2024, 09:15:32 »
Might, maybe be fixed in version 14.x, Beta/Alpha should be available at the end of this month (march..)
Support and Feedback / Re: Copy to zip: unknown error 87
« Last post by Mathias (Author) on March 25, 2024, 20:51:53 »
87 = generic invalid parameters error code message from Windows.
It can be anything Check log (Ctrl+L for more error info)

Try the other method I wrote in your other post..  Browse inside zip in target panel. and then go to source panel and copy from there.
If you just edit target path it is easy to miss enter the path so it is not added.
« Last post by Mathias (Author) on March 25, 2024, 20:48:19 »
Not able to recreate that.
But if the file you add already exist and you are overwriting (removing and adding), then it must rebuild the entire zip.
Also if the zip is missing its content catalogue at the end of the file (depending on what is created it from the beginning). the entire file need to be parsed instead of just jump to end and add it

However MC is not optimized to update zip is fastest way, normally it is not a problem but if you got 200.000+ items in the root of the zip i can cause it to be slow. Zip is handled like a virtual filesytem, you can navigate into the zip as a volume.
Because of this the zip archive must load the entire zip before doing anything to it. and for each file you add it must check so the file do not already exists. and so on.

However there are some optimization added in the coming version. (14.x) It will load a large zip faster.. but it will still be slow.. The way zip is build, having 200k+ items in a zip is not optimal. I think 7Zip handles large number of files better.
Support and Feedback / Re: Copy to Zip bug?
« Last post by Mathias (Author) on March 25, 2024, 20:42:40 »
Not able to recreate your issue,
To add files to an existing zip you can browse into the zip in the target panel and then select the files to copy into the zip in the source panel

Or as you are doing..
edit the "copy files to..." field,  to like "D:\MyFolder\MyZip.zip\"  You must have the \ after the "zip" else it think you want to copy the file into that name, and not into a zip
Support and Feedback / Zip performance
« Last post by veds on March 25, 2024, 19:29:42 »
When I want to add a few small files to an existing zip which contains a lot of small files (+200.000) a "copy to" dialog box appears but nothing seems to happen.
I waited 30 minutes and the copy process wasn't yet started.

MC v13.5 (x64) on windows 10
Support and Feedback / Copy to zip: unknown error 87
« Last post by veds on March 25, 2024, 19:06:19 »
I select some files press F5 and enter in the dialog box the path to an existing zip file.
Exceptionally I get a dialog box with the error message "unknown error 87".
If I try to add those files to the same zip file with another tool I get no error message.

What could be the reason for the "unknown error 87"?

MC (x64) v13.5 on windows 10
Support and Feedback / Copy to Zip bug?
« Last post by veds on March 25, 2024, 18:46:17 »
Select some files and press F5.
Enter in the "Copy files to.." edit box the filepath of a zip file and press enter (the selected files don't exists in the archive).
In several occasions I get a dialogbox with the question whether I want to overwrite the target file (the size is 0 bytes).

If I first open and close the zip file with multicommander and then execute the same steps multicommander adds the files to the archive.

MC v13.5 (x64) on windows 10
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10